Tips to Performing Comfortably for a Crowd
© 2020 JustViolin.org
Most people are not comfortable performing in front of people. When I say performing, such as an playing an instrument, singing, or acting, I mean more than just knowing how to do well at your chosen craft, I mean doing it well in front of people. It is the “in front of people” part that gets us every time. How many of us sing like a bird in the shower but then when people are watching we cannot carry a note. Here are a few tips to get you on the road to comfort when you are called on to shine.
- Practice, practice, practice. Whether you sing or play an instrument, practice is the key to being relaxed. The more familiar you are with what you are performing, the less anxiety you will have about messing up.
- Step out of the practice room. Create a slightly more intimidating environment so you can train yourself to be mentally prepared as well. Have a mock performance in front of family members or a group of close friends.
- Calm your mind down. Visualize the entire process of yourself going on stage and completing the performance. Meditation, long hot shower, or herbal tea may be helpful for some people before the performance.
- Do not back up. Music teachers pass this on all the time. If you mess up in the middle, or any place in your piece, don’t back up and repeat the passage. Keep going. Chances are your audience did not even notice.
- Try not to be too critical of your technical skill. Focus on your overall performance. How does it sound as a whole? If you’re a pianist and you worry during your piece about your fingerings, then you are ignoring the entire piece of music and how it sounds. Worry about technicalities only when you practice.
- Do not forget to enjoy the moment. Performance opportunities are rare and precious, it is the time for you to share your gift with the audience. Approach that moment with gratitude instead of fear.
With time, playing in front of and for other people will come much easier. You'll be a natural. So make good use of every opportunity to show your stuff!